Thursday, February 08, 2007

So whatever happened to my contest with Lisa?

We both exercised and watched our eating for more than 2 months, and our deal was that the winner would get to decide the theme to our wedding. Lisa's choice for a wedding theme was "traditional" while mine was "everyone dresses up like forest animals". Clearly the stakes were high.

We measured various body parts at the start of our wager, and at the end.

I went without McDonalds, chocolate bars and adult beverages for months in an effort to win, and Lisa hit the gym and cardio classes every day. We teased each other all the time "Baby, you know what I could go for? A single piece of hot cheese pizza. But I can't have it alone or I'll lose the bet, so how about we both have a slice? You go first..."

At the end, Lisa had lost substantial weight and inches, and so had I. I lost nearly 20 pounds in 10 weeks, as did Lisa. But there was a serious problem: We both lost the same amount of inches off our bellies and chests and legs and arms, and we couldn't come to an agreement on which inches mattered most, like does losing an inch off your belly count as more than losing an inch off your thigh, or hairline. So after a long afternoon of negotiating and mathematics ("I don't care if you lost 3 fingernails and a set of car keys, that doesn't count for anything" or "You look thirsty, are you sure you don't want to drink a few liters of water now? We can wait a few minutes for the weigh-in"), we decided to call it a draw.


As far as I can tell, this means Lisa will dress traditionally, I'll wear a bear suit, and the guests can chose which theme they wish to recognize. I plan on making a large furry wardrobe available to all guests, just in case anyone wishes to join me in plush celebration. Should that decision prove to be too much, we plan on getting married during warm weather, so the guests can dispense with clothes entirely if they choose.

It's important to say that Lisa still hits the gym every day, and I'm still forgoing chocolate bars; feeling good just feels good, but it was a hard enough habit to get into that I want to keep up the effort so my muscles don't completely atrophy and I wind up becoming absorbed by my couch.

On another note, this wedding party all grooves to Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Give it 40 seconds to get good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We can only imagine how much fun the Stag and Stagette parties were!You could do a revved up version of "If You Go Down To the Woods Today..." Get down...!!