Saturday, February 17, 2007

When I flew medevacs on the MU-2 and we had an especially gooey, infectious patient, we would have to wear the gown, gloves and mask while flying. During the SARS scare of Summer 2003 in Ontario, we had to suit up for all our patients. If a patient had a weak immune system, sometimes we'd have to get suited up to protect them from our germs.

It might not look like it, but that gown is really, really hot. My shirt and pants would frequently be soaked through with sweat; I can remember running my finger down my arm and watching an actual stream of sweat drip from my arm hair onto the aircraft seats.

I'll leave you to imagine the smell of the plane after a 15-hour duty day.

During the SARS scare I was based in Thunder Bay. We would fly to Winnipeg on a regular basis, and the FBO there banned us from coming inside while wearing our gowns as it totally freaked out the 'normal' people who were sitting inside, waiting for their own aircraft to arrive.

Try putting a surgical mask on and then putting an aviation headset on, then talking on the radio.





I assume you've seen the latest skydiving video where the guy's chutes fail and he figures he's catfood and actually waves goodbye to the camera, only to land in some blackberry bushes and survive the landing. If you haven't, it's HERE.

On a completely unrelated note, here's a clip that I found adorable. I'm not going to make the obvious joke here, it's too easy.



Some original content coming up tomorrow...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sound of the whacks seems really loud and that makes me wonder if that cat is not a masochist feline. Could that be? A spank monster whose hips will soon need repairing ?

Anonymous said...

Used to know a cat who got off on being spanked. His owner thought it might be like a massage to him, since he had mild arthritis.

John said...

It's too bad the public's main exposure to skydiving are these sensational videos of someone cheating death. It is an amazing sport that a lot of pilots would find enjoyable. It is not without risk, but neither is flying a plane.