Sunday, February 18, 2007

Scroll down below this post for today's 'real' post...

Sully's Top Songs Of The Moment, with streaming goodness.

Special thanks to my friend MagicMaker for turning me on to Radioblog, which is a pretty cool site indeed - type in the name of an artist or song you like, and it will hook you up with similar artists, which is a great way to discover new tunes. Radioblog will let me make up an entire playlist and embed it, but I chose to split the songs up individually.


Tool - Lateralus, from the album by the same name. Tool is like math-metal, but what really gets me is Maynard James Keenan's voice. Simply amazing.




Skinny Puppy - Testure, from the album VIVIsectVI. Based in Vancouver, they are among the godfathers of Industrial / Gothic music. At least they were until one of the keyboard players overdosed in his parents bathroom a decade ago. Still my fav band; I have tattoos of their artwork.



Consolidated - The Sexual Politics of Meat. Consolidated were a hip-hop group composed of white folks. The twist is they are as far to the political left as humanly possible on every single topic they write about. Listen to this song to see what I mean. I mean, I'm fairly left-wing, but they are completely over-the-top, and I enjoy feeling like Rush Limbaugh when I listen to them. This song ain't their finest, but it's the best one I could find on this streaming service so it will have to do.



Nine Inch Nails - Just Like You Imagined. Good hard industrial / electronica from one of the grand masters of the genre. This song is also featured in the trailer for the upcoming movie "300".




Tupac Shakur - Changes. I sort of hate rap music, but this one has some pretty great lyrics, and the main riff is taken from a Bruce Hornsby song that everyone over the age of 25 has heard before. When Tupac was murdered, a particularly bright light was extinguished.



Delerium - Silence. This is another group based in Vancouver, and this song has Sarah McLachlan on vocals. It's ambient electronica, suitable for driving or maybe cleaning the house to. My fav song by them is "Flowers Become Screens" but I can't find it on the streamer, so this is the next-best thang.



Gary Jules - Mad World. You've probably heard this on tv in an ad for an Xbox360 game called Gears of War, or maybe in the soundtrack to the movie Donnie Darko. This is a cover of the original Tears For Fears song, and I'm not sick of it yet. The rest of Gary Jule's stuff sounds nothing like this, so before getting his full CD you might wanna have a listen to his other stuff.



Massive Attack - Angel. A British electronica band that's been around forever. Another one of their songs, Teardrop, is the theme song to the tv show "House". I like this song better.




Tool - The Grudge. Yeah, Lateralus is already at the top of my list, but Tool is good enough to have 2 mentions. That voice...




and lastly...


(dis?)honorable mention: Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around Comes Around. Yeah, I'm embarassed to even say I have heard his stuff, but this track is pretty good even though he really should have gotten over Britney by now.

2 comments:

Aviatrix said...

Try Pandora, for similar. Feed it the names of a few of your favourites and it creates a radio station for you. You then have the option to say "yeah! I really like this one!" or "Gah! Why would you think I'd like THAT?" to the songs it plays for you.

JAFP said...

Your iPod and mine must have crossed paths somewhere.

I really like the Gary Jules version of "Mad World" from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. Its ethereal sound fits the lyrics of the song much better than the original Tears For Fears version.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I saw Tears For Fears in concert last year and they specifically mentioned how much they like the GJ version of "Mad World". The version they play in concert is slower and much more powerful than the original from "The Hurting".

Always enjoy your posts,

Mike