Sunday, July 01, 2007



I'm at Lisa's parents house right now, hanging out with them for the Canada Day weekend.

We are in a small town, but they had a fireworks display last night which we attended. The fireworks were loaded aboard a barge and towed out into the middle of the local harbour, with the whole town turning out along the shoreline to watch them. We lucked out; a guy I used to work with who goes by the name of Scurvy Dog lives here and he graciously invited us aboard his boat for the display.

Lisa took these pics on the boat while I was upstairs watching Scurvy Dog get his nautical groove on, deftly moving the boat through the harbour to get us a good view of the upcoming fireworks.



The reflection in this next pic is the all-seeing eye of Sauron. Or the camera. The former makes for a better story, so I'm going to go with that.



Once it got dark, the fireworks started. They were decent, but really short. As in 14 minutes long. You can see the other boats in the harbour, sort of. I like how the fireworks shade the color of the water beneath them.






Anyway, that was yesterday.

Today, we went to see some friends, then went to the local Canada Day parade. This community is rural, so the parade definitely had a country theme.





The little girl was ridiculously cute; her father would waggle the wheelbarrow and she would wave her flag to the crowd.



I spent a little too much time in the sun, and I broiled my hairless skull a wee bit. Trust me when I say that a scalp-burn hurts like hell. I dunked my head in a pail of aloe vera and I'm hoping my remaining hair doesn't peel off.

I'm too embarassed to take a real pic of myself right now, so I have simulated what I look like at the moment using a pic I took earlier today.




Despite my hideous visage, Lisa's parents took the family out to a nice restaurant to celebrate her convocation from university a few weeks ago. I ate half my body weight. Now we are back home, where I am rubbing more lotion on my sunburn and watching an amazing nature documentary called "Planet Earth"

I love my job, but I also enjoy the occasional day like this, where aviation seems a thousand miles away.

Happy Canada Day eh!!!

No comments: